Civil Service Commission
Each member of the Commission serves for a term of six years. The Civil Service Commission has three members. Each commission member must be a citizen of the United States and have been a resident of the City for at least three years immediately prior to appointment.
- Robert Smet, Position 1
Term: January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2022
- Jennifer Rayson, Position 2
Term: January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2024
- Don Shennum, Position 3
Term: January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2020
Civil Service is required for Police by chapter 41.12 RCW - When the city or town has three full-time paid police officers, including the chief. City of East Wenatchee Municipal Code Title 3, Civil Service.
Appointments to the commission are made by the Mayor, and the persons appointed are not subject to confirmation. Commission members serve without compensation, although they may have their expenses reimbursed.
The Civil Service Commission Duties
- Adopts rules for the regulation of personnel matters within classified service that are consistent with state law
- Provide and hold competitive test to determine qualifications of candidates
- Provides the Police Chief with certified eligibility lists from which an individual may be hired and promoted
- Gives practical tests to determine the capacity of persons examined to perform duties of the position sought
- Upon request conduct investigations and prepares report
- Upon request, hears and determines appeals arising from applications, testing and promotional appointments.
- Appoints an Executive Secretary
- Approves minutes of meetings and keeps record of proceedings
- Reviews the creation, amendment or discontinuance of classified positions
- Performs its duties as imposed by Chapters 41.12 RCW for Police